Tuesday, June 29, 2010

And then there was a little thing called a 10k

These are NOT what my legs look like...yet :)

So yesterday I did the unthinkable... I went running- on a track- by my own volition! Hell has officially frozen over and it is all my fault.

Okay, so I went running- it was terrible. Every moment, if I could think over the din of my body screaming 'WHY God WHY!', I was thinking 'Why the hell am I doing this?'

Will I ever over come my hatred of running? Laryssa says: yes, my mind says: maybe and my body says: no and stop trying....

Any who, this was my work out:

Four 400 meters at a jog with two sets of stairs in between each 400.
Four 100 meters of lunges
Four 400 meters with a 200 meter of walking in between
Four, 15 second, 20 second, 25 second and 35 second chair poses with my back against the wall and my tights at a 90 degree angle.
Lastly, two sets of sit ups holding a 6 pound weight, sit ups with legs raised and moving the weight from side to side to work my obliques, leg raises with my legs straight and NOT touching the ground at the bottom, and reverse crunches were you curl you legs towards your chest but when you bring them down you don't let them touch the ground- 15 of each.

I try before I start to do a workout that I hate to set limits for myself. Such as 'today I will do everything in sets of X', like yesterday in sets of four. This helps me push through some how. It gives me the mentality that if I start one portion I MUST continue until I am done with the amount that I set for myself. Without strict rules when doing a workout I find that I flounder and end up slacking off.

I also really like to us the carrot/ stick method for doing work outs. Like if I push extra hard I can skip doing some part of the workout as reward, but if I slack off then I am punished by having to do something I really hate. Hench the whole reason I am running three times this week. I could have pushed through the run after the ride we did on Sunday- but I was just plain lazy and didn't feel like it. THAT is not a real reason to not do something... so my punishment is running. Sadly, it probably always will be.

This 10k that I will eventually do after my swim and bike is going to be a killer, but I have to practice and practice for it if I am going to finish it!

Like I said after the failed run on Sunday: "Get me in a God Damn pool!"



3 comments:

Andrew Lim said...

maybe you can do the 10k in a segway

Liz said...

I believe that that would be "on" a segway :) And I will bring it up to the race officials and see what they say.

Unknown said...

ROCK. ON. =)

Goal: Emi's legs, lol.