Monday, August 2, 2010

Somehow we are now in August!

Wow I can't believe that we are now in August! I have no idea how that happened. Well work has been crazy- which is the main reason for why I haven't posted anything in ages. That and my mom came for a visit so no training happened when she was here.

The past two weeks have been pretty standard. I have been running more with my co-worker Laryssa and she has been helping my running a lot. It has been a nice change of pace to get out and run around the neighborhood instead of on a track or on a treadmill. It is a bit easier to try and keep myself motivated when I am running on the streets, plus Laryssa keeps me entertained the whole time :)

I've had a few good swims here and there, but apart from our last long bike ride I hadn't been on a ride til this Sunday. This Sunday we all decided to take it a bit easy since some of us were sore, some of us were still reeling from the party we went to on Friday and some were feeling a bit lazy. So we all decided to do the "steepest" hill in Berkeley.

It was short, but tiring. Centennial gets up to 11% in its grade at one point so it is by no means a little hill. Luckily, it doesn't last for too long.



That was a good push for all of us. I must say it was very taxing on the legs and was by no means a piece of cake. On the way up we ran into a guy trying to do the hill as well. He was doing little switch backs to try and make it up- I think he almost took down each of us as we tried to pass him! He almost ran right into me and I don't think that if he had I would have been able to do anything fast enough but just fall flat on the pavement!

After our short little ride we went on a 3 mile run- which was not super enjoyable, but something that I need to get used to doing more and more. On the way we ran into a little blue and white Budgerigars Bird (a budgie) that was clearly a lost house bird. We were able to scoop it up and spent some time trying to find the house that it came from. Luckily one neighbor was home and we left the bird with him in hopes that if he couldn't find the house the little guy belonged to at least he would take him to an animal shelter. Then back to the run.

My running is slowly getting better- ever so slowly. I am still not up to running on real hills yet, but at least I have figured out a way to keep going even when I feel like giving up. It is a short 100 meter improvement each week, but at least it is improving! And thank god I don't get as horridly sore any more!

This coming week I'll be in Utah spending some quality time with my grandma and the only thing that I will be able to do is run, so I hope I am able to push myself to do it!

No comments: