Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mile Marker


I swam my first mile yesterday! YAY! And it felt really good. Swimming is by far the thing that I am the best at in this whole thing, but even though I have been on swim teams, and usually put in 3,000 to 5,000 meters in a swim practice, when you practice for speed swimming they never make you swim over a 800. So this was very exciting to actually swim a mile for the first time. It makes me feel very confident that I have a good stroke pace down and that at the end I will still have tons of energy left to really push towards the finish.

The mile sorta happened by accident as I was only going to swim a 500, but when I got done with that I felt really in the zone so decided to go for a 1,000. Once I got there I figured well it's only 18 more laps till I hit a mile-lets do it! Luckily I was also timing my 500 so I figure that I did my mile in 26 minutes. Which I am very happy about as a base number to work off of.

I am now very excited to get a wetsuit and do some longer swims out in the open. Doing a mile in the pool is definitely a bit boring and it was hard to keep track of my laps.

I also must confess, half way through the day my arms became very sore- something I hadn't felt from swimming in a long time. I have to say that it felt good. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Once again, you're supposed to get a certificate for accomplishing this feat for the first time! :)

Liz said...

I am only looking forward to the tri team so that I will have a swim team to swim with again! (oh and of course the certificates :) )