Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cookin' Eggs

So on January 10th my roommates and I decided to be true to our group new years resolution and go to the local hot springs.

The first time that I was living in Mae Sot I had no time to do any traveling or really relax for that matter. It was go-go-go from the moment that I got there. First it was doing all the craziness with the house and moving in. Then it was work- from Monday to Friday physical labor out in the hot hot sun of Thailand was way too much! I would come home some days so exhausted that I would pass out at 6pm and not wake up til 7 am the next day! Lastly it was weekend projects all the time. From the solar water heater, to the gardening, to the constant cleaning that our huge house needed none of us ever had any free time. And Andrew and Jade were working just as much at GHAP. So in 2009 we decided that it was mucho importante to have a social life and relax a bit.

My new job helps this out a LOT! It is a desk job from 9 to 5 and it feels so good to come home and actually have energy to do other things! I am able to cook now, go swimming, go to yoga or even study Thai. I never had energy like that before. Don't get me wrong- I really loved doing my other job, but I really needed a break from building.

So in that spirit we went to the hot springs. We had heard that they were super relaxing and set right out in the middle of nature. In fact they probably would have been this pristine get away if we had not gone when the local Thais were still celebrating New Years and Thai Independence on January 4th. It was PACKED with families and their screaming children. See in Thailand I have actually grown to sort of like kids. The children at the migrant schools are respectful, quiet and all around really good kids. But Thai kids are a whole other level of spoiled! And they are so fat and loud! It is really attractive for young boys in Thailand to be fat because it is a sign of being western and well feed - so this turned out not to be a quiet relax in the hot springs but a family vacation.

Luckily, we could rent a private hot spring for 20 baht and be secluded in a room all a lone. Having a physical barrier between us and the kids was a must. Also, no one could stare at us in our bikini's, because remember Thais are still pretty conservative as far as clothing goes.

We stayed there for most of the day and it was quite nice. One day I'd like to go back and see if it is maybe a bit more quite when it is not a national holiday!

No comments: