Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Years Celebrations 2009 in Bangkok

So, this is the first year that I have ever spent new years out and it was really quite fun to be a part of all of the celebrations.

We met up with one of Andrew's college friends who is from Thailand and now lives in Bangkok. It was great because she knew the city like the back of her hand and we didn't really need to do any thinking. Neither of us really like Bangkok - it is just too big, dirty and there are WAY too many candy colored taxi cabs for it to be much of a walking city. Although, their city wide mono-rail is very nice, if it actually takes you were you want to go.

So she was going to go to this super-swanky club that night with all of her friends and if we were going to go we needed to look nicer than we usually do in Thailand. Up in Mae Sot there is no reason to have a nice dress and high -heels. So we pulled together a nice out fit for both of us so that we could go. I am sure that I will never wear my 200 baht high-heels that I bought in the MBK mall. They were pretty cheap and hurt like hell, but worked for the evening.

The club cost 1,000 baht to get into- and let me put that in perspective for you. 1,000 baht is about 30 dollars! I've never paid that much to get into a club in my life, even in NYC! Our monthly rent in Mae Sot is only 875 baht and an expensive dinner in Mae Sot is about 200 baht. So this was a crazy amount of money to us just to go a club. Luckily, it turned out to be worth it. It had the most amazing view of the entire city and at midnight we were privy to all the fireworks. It was maybe the best fireworks show I have ever seen! Also the dance floor was made out of clear plastic that was built over the infinity pool on the hotel's top floor. We also ended up getting plenty of free Moet & Chandon. So all in all I can say that I am super glad I sucked it up and just went for it that night! It was a very romantic new years and our party had the whole dance floor to our selves, since no one every dances in Thailand!

After new years, we didn't hang out in Bangkok for more time than needed. We moseyed around the parks until our bus left at 10pm on the 1st and were back in Mae Sot to see the sunrise on the 2nd. It was wonderful to come back to our house - all-be-it it was really really dirty!

No comments: