Friday, May 28, 2010

Cans and Can Nots

As the date to get-my-lazy-ass-up-and-start-training day approaches this is a few food rules that I am g0ing to *try* to abide by.

1. No more coffee (unless I am absolutely dieing at work)

2. Cut back on red meat to only two times a week. (This is going to be hard because I am WAY more of a carnivore than omnivore... but it IS better for me. Also, they say that reducing red meat and substituting it with things that are more easily digestable will help my body make the most of out my food while converting it into energy)

3. Eat more servings of fish. (Right now I am at about 2 -3 servings per week of fish. I think it would be a good idea to increase that amount to make up for the lack of red meat in my diet... it's not like I am going vegetarian here people!)

4. Drink at 4 - 5 liters of water a day

5. Up my legume, bean, tofu and chickpea intake. (Right now legumes are okay, but I should start to eat other energy rich foods too)

6. Reduce dairy product in take. (This will be the hardest because dairy products are the equivalent of gifts from god to me! Nothing is better than cheese... okay maybe bacon and avocados.... but few things can compete with the amazingness of cheese. I am not going to completely cut out dairy- that would just be wrong and mean spirited to dairy!- just reduce it a little and maybe cut it out totally a week before a large triathlon.)

Okay that is my initial list. Basically it is eat more veggies and try to be reasonable about what I put in my body. I figure it is no use to do all this training if I am just going to go home and eat stuff that is going to hinder my work outs and results.

On a side note, I am a big proponent of energy bars, i.e. cliff bars and the like, but I am interested in try out these energy gel things that are now on the market... they look totally gross, but maybe they won't give me that lump of coal stuck in my gut feeling that sometimes eating an energy bar and then running can do. I'll get back with more on that front later!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Huzzah! I'm with ya' Liz! Getting gym membership this week and creating my plan tomorrow.