Wednesday, July 14, 2010

1st Triathlon... as a spectator!



Yay spectating as a sport!

So last Saturday I went with Erica and her mom to cheer on Brian during the Treasure Island Triathlon. It was a pretty awesome thing to watch and Brian did a great job. He only raced because he received free admission- so for a guy that hasn't been training he finished in just under 3 hours.


Brian at the start of the race, looking mighty spry.


Erica informed me that it was a more low key race than others. There weren't many people there cheering and there weren't too many people even there racing. None-the-less it was exciting to get pumped for a race and cheer someone on.

It was absolutely freezing on Treasure Island that crisp 6:30 am morning and of course I was not wearing enough layers. You would think that after living here for a year I would finally understand that it will just NEVER be warm in the summer time. Yet some how each time I go out I get tricked into thinking that it will be.
Here we are huddled together for warmth while we watching the swimming portion of the triathlon. There was even one guy swimming without a wetsuit! I have no idea how he made it.

I wish that the first triathlon I watched was filled with screaming and cheering, but on the other hand this race was good because it was easy to see all the of the technical aspects of the race, such as warming up, the transitions and the layout of the race area.

For most of the race we were watching the collegiate level, since that is the level at Brian competes in (he's still a baby). However watching all of those spry youngins' really made me feel old! I am not looking forward to doing my first triathlon and being completely annihilated by some 18 year old. it isn't going to be pretty....

Well, the day ended well and Brian did very well for himself. We then all went out for a celebratory Chipotle lunch :)

I have posted more photos on my flickr account if anyone wants to partake and of course I can take no credit for the awesome shots. All credit for the photography goes to Erica: A fantastic photographer and someone Brian is very lucky to have as a sister.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank ye kindly! And just so you know, I'll be photographing *your* first triathlon, heheh.